Friday, August 6, 2010

"This is America."

A few days back, some of us Darden International students went for a first-time road trip out of Charlottesville. What better place than the nation's capital, right? So we went to Washington DC for some R&R and of course, to better immerse ourselves in the country's rich history.

We walked, talked, toured, took photos, walked some more, ate Asian food (that we miss so badly), and walked a whole lot more. Our feet could have died a premature death but we did cover pretty much everything touristy in DC--the wide array of museums (and there were lots of them! Good thing it was free), the US Capitol, the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Washington monument and the charming Georgetown.

We were taking a lot of photos at the foot of the Washington monument when someone suggested to do crazy poses to add flavor to our all-too-touristy photos. I'm not one to experiment on poses and obviously I felt shy with the many people watching and waiting for their turn to shoot photos so I declined. She said, "This is America! No one cares." I just had to throw my head back and laugh. Hard. She's right, you know. This is America. Land of the free. One of the oldest (continuous) democracies in the world. As students/tourists in this country, I guess we at least get a free pass at unrestricted freedom.

Too bad I missed my chance. Well, the next two years should present more opportunities.

http://almondspeaks.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment