Friday, September 3, 2010

Random Friday Thoughts

So I'm sitting here in my room on a Friday before movie night.. There's a football game going on now which was supposed to be my first American football experience but I was smart enough to log it in my Saturday schedule. Hopefully there's another one soon. There's a lot going on in my head right now. I can't really structure my thoughts clearly hence the apt title "Random Friday Thoughts."

Another Darden week went by leaving me breathless (once again). It's only been three weeks but with the unbelievably fast pace that we're going, it feels like it's been months too many! Classes this week have definitely been harder. Last week, we were learning about price-volume-profit scenarios in our Decision Analysis class. It was pretty simple for me since these things are exactly what I was doing in my job. Then suddenly we move forward to learning how to simulate scenarios using the Crystal Ball program. We're combining concepts of analyzing uncertainty, probability distributions, NPV simulations into spreadsheet modelling, Crystal ball and tornado sensitivities! We've tackled real-life cases about Oracle softwares, Overhaul engine services, Natural-resource explorations, and Cogeneration plants! I made a clear mental note to myself never to get into these crazily complex businesses. I was re-introduced to long-ago math concepts of normal/uniform/triangular/gamma distributions. All in four very short days. Talk about intense. Seriously. It felt like going from first gear to fifth gear. It's a miracle the engine is still purring.

On the bright side, I'm still enjoying the learning experience very much. It's amazing and amusing how the case method actually plays out well even in quantitative classes. There are some times though that I'm sitting there confused and frustrated that I want a time-out and in dire need of a shift to lecture mode. But I'm keeping my faith in the process. Let's see how long I can keep up. Two years less three weeks is a pretty long time!

http://almondspeaks.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment